Sunday, March 16, 2008

Rare does an album repeat this many times in my mp3 player, but...


Click here to play!

...The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford soundtrack is one such album.

Those who know me well know that I have more movie soundtrack albums than any other genre. I used to hold up an old tape deck next to my mom's 1980 TV set when I was a kid to record like 10 seconds of a musical part from a film. Didn't care about what movie it was...but if something caught my ear I recorded it. In fact, I still have my first cassette (remember those anybody?) back in my home in CT.

This movie in itself is a masterpiece...more a film and character study than anything else. The two main characters powerfully portray America's most notorious criminal and the man who worshiped, hated, and killed him. However, it was the music that did it for me. And when that happens, the medium through which I heard the music becomes immaterial. Such is the case here.

It's been a long time since I've heard music that caused me to imagine...to dream..to long...to believe...to think about my God in a way I've not in a long time.

Music with words and our contemporary styles have their place indeed. But I wonder about David out on the hills thinking of God. He had no mp3 player, no top 10, nothing but the music in his heart. What music did he hear when pondering the awesomeness of the Lord?

What kind of music do I hear when meditating on the goodness, long suffering, mercy, fear, and love of God? Click the photo above for a sample...this is what I hear.

The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky displays what his hands have made. One day tells a story to the next. One night shares knowledge with the next without talking, without words, without their voices being heard. Yet, their sound has gone out into the entire world....(Psalms 19:1-4)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Duane,
Thank you for helping me remember how awesomely creative our God is! Who else but God can give to His people the sounds of music that will stir the soul, and that will conjure up in us that well of overflowing water that takes us to a place in God that never runs dry. Amen! Thank you, son, for reminding me of the large, massive, never-ending creativeness of our God!

Love you always,
Mom...