
Yes, I love quotes. Maxims. Adages. Proverbs. Call them what you may, I luv 'em. And I don't know why. I suppose it's because as a child and teenager growing up my constant daily prayer was for wisdom. I can't remember a day where I missed praying for wisdom. You know how they say be careful what you pray for? heheh...*ahem*. They're right.
Adages are wonderful because they sum up a vast amount of experiences into short statements that have much power. If I had it my way I'd walk around only speaking adages, proverbs, or maxims. Of course, that'd be really weird. Can you imagine?...
Cashier: "Hi sir, welcome to McDonald's. Can I take your order?"
Me: "All things are lawful to me, but I will not be mastered by anything."
Cashier: "Uh, yes sir. Umm..so did you want the combo meal 1 or..."
Me: "Nature gives you the face you have when you are twenty. Life shapes the face you have at thirty, but it is
up to you to earn the face you have at fifty."
Cashier: "Right. Er...so, um. Would you like fries or something?"
Me: "If you really do put a small value upon yourself, rest assured that the world will not raise your price."
Cashier: "No, prices only go up if you super-size it sir. Are you ok, sir?"
Me: "Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened."
Cashier: "Thank you. Next..."
*sigh* I suppose those who enjoy such statements must dwell upon them in the sanctity of their own mind, yet by all means and might live them out in life.
Here are some that pop into mind at the moment:
This is true in everyday life as it is in battle: we are given one life and the decision is ours whether to wait for circumstances to make up our minds, or whether to act, and in acting, to live. -General Omar Bradley
All persons are puzzles until at last we find in some word or act the key to the man, to the woman; straightway all their past words and actions lie in light before us.
- Emerson, Journals (1842)
Tentative efforts lead to tentative outcomes. Therefore give yourself fully to your endeavors. Decide to construct your character through excellent actions and determine to pay the price of a worthy goal. The trials you encounter will introduce you to your strengths. Remain steadfast.......and one day you will build something that endures: something worthy of your potential.
Epictetus, Roman Teacher, Philosopher 55-135 AD.
Ahhh....that last one is my favorite. Well, until next time.
Peace~
No comments:
Post a Comment